Sports News: Player's remarkable performance helped us to win IPL II: Gilchrist




















Johannesburg, May 25: 
Having won the second edition of the IPL by defeating Bangalore Royal Challengers in a thrilling encounter here, an ecstatic Deccan Chargers Hyderabad skipper Adam Gilchrist lauded his players for their remarkable job to grab the coveted title, this year, after the team had finished bottom of the table in season one.
In an exciting final here last night, Deccan Chargers defeated Bangalore Royal Challengers by six-run to win the Indian Premier League (IPL) title, this year.
Chargers finished at the bottom of the table in the inagural edition of the Twenty20 tournament.
''It's has been a phenomenal experience. Nobody gave us a chance to reach so far but we did it,'' Gilchrist said after clinching the title here.
''From being at the bottom of the table last year to being at the top is a journey well traversed. 
''I am proud of my boys who rallied throughout this tournament to win this title. It has been outstanding for us,'' he added.
The Australian, who was adjudged the player of the tournament for his outstanding performance with bat as well as for his extraordinary captaincy, also praised his opponents Royal Challengers, who finished just ahead to the Deccan Chargers in the season one. 
''I guess they also felt the same disappointment last year as we did. That I think propelled us to go for the kill,'' he stated.
The former wicket-keeper batsman further hailed left-arm spinner Prgyan Ojha for his wicket taking abilities, and young pacer Harmeet Singh for his spirited performance last night. 
''Today Pragyan Ojha bowled an astonishing spell. His took crucial wickets at the right time and it helped building up the pressure. Gibbs was good and it was nice to see young Harmeet Singh vibrant on the field. He bowled well and he took a fantastic catch. It's amazing to see these youngsters perform at such level,'' he added.
Meanwhile, Purple cap winner and Deccan Chargers pace spearhead RP Singh attributed his succses to his capatin and caoch, saying he was happy that his performance in the tournament helped him to get back a slot in Team India.
''I am enjoying the stardom and the award. My performance in the IPL has helped me get a place in the Indian T20 squad and I could not have asked for more. I bowled in the right areas and that did the trick for me,'' he said. 
''My captain and my coach had been of great help throughout the tournament,'' he added.
Singh bowled an extraordinary last over against batsman like Robin Utthapa by giving away just eight runs, when the Challengers need to score 15 run to win the title.
''Today I wanted to bowl as many yorkers but changed my mind later as I knew that Utthapa is always try to hit over mid-wicket or long-on. I am very happy and proud of my Purple Cap as my wickets have helped my team win the title. And today I bowled the crucial overs, so it makes it more special,'' he said.
However, it was a double delight for Rohit Sharma, who apart from being a part of the title winner team also adjuged as the best Under-23 player of the tournament. 
''It does feel good. More so when we have won the trophy. When I came to know that IPL has been shifted to South Africa, I was very happy about it because we had done very well here in the T20 World Cup. 
''When the tournament started, the wickets weren't easy. But with the progress of the event, it became slower and slower and I love batting in these kind of wickets. I just kept my basics right and I got the rewards,'' he quipped.


Source: central cronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment